Teachers in Homes Programme
If you’re a qualified early childhood teacher, we would love to have you on board as an Educator with PORSE.
Start your own business as an in-home Educator through our Teachers in Homes Programme and be fully supported by the largest and oldest in-home childcare provider in NZ.
We will work with you to ensure you have everything you need and support your move from centre-based or other in-home teaching with a $500 Business Start-up Package AND you’ll be able to maintain your Practising Certificate with our Teachers in Homes Programme. We’ll give you the freedom to get back to why you first began – to make a difference.
The Business Start-up Package includes a $250 resource payment to purchase any equipment you may require. A designated PORSE Progamme Tutor will provide you with the support through this initial period, as well as being your main point of contact moving forward.
Through our ongoing work with the Education Council of Aotearoa New Zealand, as a fully registered ECE teacher, you are also now able to maintain your practicing certificate (with a subject to confirmation status) while working as an in-home Educator, and we will pay the cost of your practising certificate.
Most importantly, as a PORSE home Educator you'll experience the joy of working with children in small numbers. You'll have the time to enjoy the wonder of a child learning something new that you have taught because you've provided them with the environment and relationship that allows them to feel safe and secure.
- Take care of up to four children (at one time) in your own home
- Set your own hours, rates and conditions of service
- Free ongoing professional development and workplace training
- One-on-one support from your on-the-ground PORSE Programme Tutor
- Payroll support, with family payments and calculations provided for your annual tax benefits
- Tax deductions for working from home
- Discounted Public Liability Insurance with the PORSE group scheme
- Free or discounted PORSE St John’s First Aid Course
- Free PORSE website listing and access to resources, business support and programme tools
- Free PORSE marketing and promotional support, which help to support and grow your business
- Free Community Programme events and outings, including PlaySchools and Music Groups
- Free Educator Registration
- Access to networking and social opportunities with like-minded Educators in your area
How do I get paid?
As a business owner and PORSE partner, you have the ability to choose your own hours, rates and conditions of service. We'll support you with the business operation parts of your new role and help you to plan financially as you prepare to shift from the role of an 'employee' to that of an 'independent contractor'.
As a qualified teacher, you can earn at least $32.00 per hour*. Your annual income will depend on a few variables, but the following are a couple of examples of the income you could expect:
- Work 40 hours per week, caring for four children for only 45 weeks of the year and earn $57,600 per annum.
- Work 40 hours per week, caring for three children for only 45 weeks of the year and earn $43,200 per annum.
- Work 30 hours per week, caring for four children for only 45 weeks of the year and earn up to $43,200 per annum.
- Work 30 hours per week, caring for three children for only 45 weeks and earn $32,400 per annum.
*Based on four children at $8.00 per hour.
As well as payment for childcare, when you work with PORSE, you also receive additional tax benefits.
In-home Educators are individual contractors working in their own homes. IRD have a specific Tax Determination for home-based childcare providers - meaning that certain expenses that are incurred in providing a home-based childcare service (whether you own your home or rent it) are tax deductible.
For example, if you work 40 hours per week caring for four children, the amount of deductions claimable would be $25,569. This would reduce your taxable income from $57,600 to $32,031. These deductions make choosing the in-home Educator model extremely attractive.
Please note, these are examples only and every situation will be different. You set your own hours and rates, and this will vary based on your experience and region you work in.
Where can I find out more information?